- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Mid Level
CleanChoice Energy seeks a detail-oriented and intellectually curious candidate to serve as Associate Counsel in our Legal Department. The ideal candidate for this position is passionate about renewable energy and interested in providing legal support across multiple departments, including Marketing, Sales, Tech, Operations, HR, and Finance. This is a new position that reports within the Legal Department to the Deputy General Counsel.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate an entrepreneurial approach to issue spotting and problem solving, with a keen eye toward constantly improving internal processes and documentation. Specifically, the Associate Counsel will assist in the following: (i) review and negotiate a broad array of customer and vendor contracts; (ii) administer a contract management system to ensure prompt compliance with contract milestones and deadlines; (iii) review all company public-facing content, including direct mail, email, and digital marketing; and (iv) assist on emergent issue and projects that arise within a scaling, high-growth company.
As a member of a growing Legal team, the successful candidate will have opportunities over time to expand their role and contribute to the company’s overall growth.
- Act as a legal generalist while providing support to clients across a wide range of topics including contracts, advertising, consumer protection, and renewable energy.
- Prepare and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including strategic partnership agreements, MOUs, MSA, SOWs, purchase agreements, and NDAs.
- Draft terms and conditions, FAQs, legal disclaimers, and other policies governing CleanChoice Energy’s products and services.
- Review advertising, promotional materials, and other public-facing content for legal and regulatory compliance.
- Provide training to our content teams on key legal issues, and keep our teams informed of new developments in advertising and content law.
- Participate as a key legal advisor to company leadership on major business transactions.
- Provide strategic advice and collaborate with clients to improve internal processes.
- Effectively partner with outside counsel to leverage subject matter expertise and manage state-specific legal and regulatory issues.
Qualifications and Skills:
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials and a license to practice law in at least one state. Admission to the D.C. Bar may be required within one year of starting with CleanChoice Energy.
- At least 2 years of legal practice with direct experience providing substantive contract drafting and negotiation services and/or substantive review of public-facing content, either in-house or at a law firm.
- A pragmatic and business-oriented approach to legal issues, and comfort working across multiple departments.
- Experience with consumer protection, retail electricity markets, and/or renewable energy issues is a plus.
- Excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills, accountability, and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle competing deadlines—and shifting priorities—with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take feedback, learn and grow; an ethos of continuous self-improvement.
- Passion for the environment and renewable energy.
About CleanChoice Energy
CleanChoice Energy is a leading renewable energy company empowering residential and commercial customers to reduce emissions and support clean energy through 100% renewable electricity. CleanChoice’s mission is to make clean energy accessible for everybody. CleanChoice supplies only renewable wind and solar energy to customers, operating in eight states and the District of Columbia, bringing cleaner air closer to home. The company is a founding member of the Coalition for Community Solar Access, recently passed $1 million in total corporate donations to environmental and social impact organizations, and has been awarded the highest level of B Corp certification.
We’ve been a remote-only company during the pandemic, but we expect to adopt a hybrid work environment (mixing time in the office and at home) sometime in 2022. Our office is located in historic Georgetown, just one block from the waterfront and overlooking the C&O Canal National Park. Candidates are not required to be located in the DC area, although DC-based candidates may be preferred.
This position offers compensation commensurate with experience and skills and a robust benefits package.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter via www.cleanchoiceenergy.com/careers/
CleanChoice Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff’s diverse, multidisciplinary background drives our success, and we are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard o race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.